Monday, October 3, 2011

Art & Soul 2011- Part Two

Had a wonderful time yesterday in Lisa Call's "Charm School" workshop at Art and Soul. Playing with PMC (stands for Precious Metal Clay) for the first time made me nervous at first. After much trepidation and doubt on my part, I did finally learn that I actually can push myself a little and end up with a lovely bling-y reward in the end! Yes, my friends... PMC + fire = nearly pure REAL silver charms that are uniquely your own!
My charms really show their organic handmade-ness... which doesn't bother me in the least. I'll admit that I hurried through the process of rolling, stamping and cutting out the clay bits, due to fear of not getting them finished, dried and into the kiln by our lunch break. I can see now that I'd have rather put more thought into choosing the rubber stamps and shapes that I used, but I still love the outcome.

Some of the other students had previous PMC experience and weren't quite so intimidated by the necessary careful handling... fear of having it stick to everything, drying out too soon, etc. I saw some really wonderful  textures and patterns in some of their charms!

You can see that many of our charms look to be sort of tarnished... and that is by design. They came out of the kiln looking a rather funky matte white, then were wire-brushed to a bright, gleaming silver which I didn't get photos of. These have all been dunked in a bath of liver of sulpher to give them a dark oxidized patina, then tumble polished.

These next shots are Janne's work... a woman who came to Art & Soul all the way from Norway, and turned out to be friends of another good friend of mine. Such a small world! Janne managed to get her bracelet assembled and it looks really wonderful.
We also learned how to make our own headpins from fine silver wire by melting the end in a torch flame to form a lovely little silver ball. I'm now asking Santa for my own Blazer butane torch.
I'm still working on polishing my coiled links and jump rings, then will get busy assembling my bracelet. This was a great class and reinforces my desire to take off in this direction and make more jewelry.

7 comments:

Rose-Marie said...

Patti, it makes me happy-to-my-toes to see what you do to nurture yourself. I'm inspired by your example and so, so proud of you!

P.S. Your charms are really neat!

Unknown said...

Thank you SO much, R-M! I need to e-mail you.:)

Lisa said...

It is hard in class to take your time when there is so much new information.l Your charms are great and when hanging on the bracelet with beads all the little imperfections seem to disappear. As with everything...practice makes perfect and it really pays to sand/file prior firing.

Jony Gibson said...

your charms are great i am very happy to see. i appreciate it here some more you can look at Silver Charms

Kathy McElroy said...

I love these. Great job.

spindelmaker said...

Hi Patti! I didn´t realize you´d blogged about our class at Art & Soul. It was so great! I had such fun there, learned so much! I´ve oredered some PMC and it took forever to come, but now it´s finally here, and I am making plans, remaking them, and making new plans again for the new silver-collection :-) Ha, ha, ha...
Im with you, I´d really like to learn more, and make more jewelry. It´s such good fun, and this way of doing it is pure alchemy, if you ask me! Magical!

Unknown said...

Janne- My husband gave me a Blazer torch for Christmas, so I guess he wants me to make more charms! I will have to post photos of my bracelet, now that I've actually finished it. I wear the big charm (with the bumps on it) all the time as a pendant and get SO many compliments. Amazing how people respond to something unique.